This crunchy, flakey and delicious middle eastern dessert drenched in a floral rose with gooey cheese is to die for! A classic and beloved rich treat, perfect for the celebration of Eid.
Shredded Filo / Phyllo
Melted ghee/ butter
Chopped and toasted pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 400˚C
- In a food processor, pulse shredded phyllo into strands, the size of rice grain.
- Pour into a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix both cheese and sugar.
- Melt the butter in a microwave until completely melted and a thick white foam forms on top.
- Skim off the foam with a spoon to clarify the butter.
- Pour butter into the bowl of Phyllo dough. Mix it with your hands, making sure the butter is nicely absorbed by the dough.
- Evenly spread the buttered phyllo dough into a 9x13-inch pan and firmly press it into the bottom and edges.
- Spread the cheese mixture onto the dough, avoiding the edges of the pan
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, until cheese is golden and edges of dough are brown. In the mean time, combine water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Take off heat and let it cool down, then add the lemon juice and rose water and stir,
- Once the Kunafa is baked, Place a baking sheet over the baking dish, and carefully invert the baking dish onto the platter with the phyllo facing up.
- Pour the syrup over the Kunafa, cut into squares and garnish with chopped pistachio. Serve while it's hot!