One of the most popular Filipino dessert rich in eggs and milk. Almost like a crème caramel but lighter, brought to the Philippines by the Spanish colonization. It is mainly served in birthday party and town fiestas. A classic favorite definitely liked by all.
15 pcs eggs
1 can of condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Begin by separating the egg whites and yolks. Keep the yolks aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks with a fork or egg beater.
- Next, pour in and mix the condensed milk and vanilla extract,
- Place the mold (llanera - an oval shaped tin used to make leche flan) or as a substitute, use a ramekin or cake pan on top of the stove at a low heat.
- Pour in the sugar on the mold and melt it in low heat until it has caramelized and turned light brown.
- Set the caramel evenly and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Add in the beaten egg yolks and milk onto the mold.
- Cover it with an aluminum foil, and steam it for 30 minutes.
- After steaming, let the dessert cool down and refrigerate it for few hours, until it has settled and become firm.
- Share and Enjoy together with friends and family!